Barking Mad Dog Rescue
Welcome to Project Walkies
Vet-AI, the company behind Joii Pet Care, and The University of Leeds are currently undertaking a project supported by the government (via Innovate UK) to develop a software tool to identify dog walk problems in videos of dogs. In return for you making a donation of uploading a video of your dog walking, Vet-AI will make a voluntary donation to the value of £2 per video to Barking Mad Dog Rescue.
As part of this, you and your dog(s) are invited to take part. We would be very grateful if you would upload videos to our platform (click here) of your dog(s) and answer some basic questions about them.
Please read the following information carefully and please ask if you would like more information or if there is anything you do not understand. Vet-AI’s contact details are provided at the end of this document. We would like to stress that you do not have to accept this invitation and should only agree to take part if you want to. If you decide not to participate this will NOT affect your relationship with Joii, or the veterinary treatment of your dogs.
Please read this carefully and contact us if you would like to discuss anything in detail. You should only agree to take part if you want to. If you decide not to participate this will not affect your relationship with Vet-AI, Animal Friends Insurance, Hill’s or the veterinary treatment of your dogs via Joii. Our donation to Barking Mad Dog Rescue is voluntary and we are under no obligation to make a donation based on your uploading of a video.
What is involved?
- Open the web page
- You must read the information and make sure you understand the instructions
- take your video(s)
- Answer the basic questions about the dog (optional)
- Upload the video(s)
- We will make a donation to the value of £2 for each usable video uploaded
Please read our FAQs below, followed by our terms and conditions.
Who are Vet-AI, Joii Petcare and Innovate UK?
Vet-AI is a veterinary telemedicine and artificial intelligence (AI) company based in the UK. We offer owners video consultations with vets and vet nurses via our smartphone app, Joii Petcare (https://www.joiipetcare.com/). Vet-AI also builds smart vet technology to help owners and their pets recognise when there is something wrong with their pet, with projects such as this one.
Innovate UK is part of UK Research and Innovation, a non-departmental public body funded by a grant-in-aid from the UK government. For more information, visit the UK Research and Innovation website. They drive productivity and economic growth by supporting businesses to develop and realise the potential of new ideas, including those from the UK’s world-class research base.
What is Joii?
Joii is a telemedicine app so that you can have round the clock access to professional veterinary advice for your pets. It's completely free to download and on your smartphone.
How do I get Joii?
What videos do we want?
We need videos of dogs walking so we can make an awesome tool to help dogs everywhere.
What should the video be of?
We ask for each video to be:
- Taken In landscape view
- Of the dog walking towards and away from the camera in a straight line
- Of the dog walking left to right and then right to left in front of the camera
- In focus and not blurry
- Only of one dog (no other dogs in background)
- A clear view of the dog (avoid having a person / objects in the way of the dog on the video)
- Contain at least 10 seconds of moving dog
- Camera as still as possible (to do this you will need one person to walk the dog on a lead and another person to be filming the walk, keeping the camera steady)
These specific instructions are so that the dog can be seen moving from all different sides.
Why does Joii need videos of dogs?
Joii needs videos of dogs walking to build an amazing tool that will be able to tell owners when there is a problem with their dog’s walk.
A painful walk (“lameness”) due to things like arthritis, is very common in dogs. However, since dogs can’t talk, the signs can be difficult for us humans to spot, especially in the earlier stages of disease. It can also be difficult for owners and vets to assess more subtle changes in the amount of pain a dog is in, and if for example, treatment is having any benefit or not.
Why are we asking questions?
In order to understand as much about each dog featured in your videos, we need to ask questions to have some background information, or data, about each dog. It is useful to know the breed, age and gender, weight and neuter status of each dog to help us build a reference to typical problems in typical breeds, ages and weights of dogs. This information is optional so if you don’t know it, don’t worry.
Do I have to be a Joii customer or sign up to Joii?
No, there is no need to be a Joii petcare app user and there is no obligation to sign up to use the app.
Will a vet be able to give me advice on my dog’s health?
No, there will not be any direct feedback about a dog’s walk or health from uploaded videos. The videos will be used by our software developers, so we cannot guarantee that a vet will review the dog’s video. If you are worried about a dog’s health it is best to seek advice from a vet. You should make an appointment to speak with a vet; you can download the Joii app to your smartphone and request a vet video consultation, or make an appointment with your regular vet.
How will the data be stored and retained?
All data will be stored in a secure database only accessible by people working on the project. Videos and information obtained from the upload may be retained for up to 5 years and will be used in future research projects, and for training and education purposes. Videos from the competition may also be used for promotional purposes.
Do I have to provide my personal information?
We will not request any other personal information about you. However, please bear in mind that any video taken in your environment that captures people as well as the dog, will be visible to anyone working on the project when assessing the videos. If you are unhappy with this you can request to have your data (the video and question answers) removed and permanently deleted.
All answers to the questions will be kept strictly confidential. The outcome of the project may be printed in veterinary journals and also in the non-veterinary press, but you and the dog will not be identifiable from any published work.
If you are happy to become involved, then please follow the instructions for uploading your project walkies videos.
What if I change my mind?
If you decide you want to withdraw from the competition, you may do so without explanation, and any information you have given can be destroyed. If you do wish to withdraw, please let one or email us at email@example.com.
Terms & Conditions
When you make a donation to project walkies by uploading a video, you agree to the following:
Project Walkies run by Joii Petcare (“you” or “Joii”).
I have been provided with details of the voluntary project for video uploads of dogs walking, described in the Information Sheet and FAQ sections of this document. I fully understand the scope of the project and wish to participate. Additionally you:
- Confirm that if you are not the dog owner, you have received permission from the owner to film the dog and provide us with the video.
- Confirm that you have read and understood the FAQ Information Sheet. You have had the opportunity to consider the information, ask questions and have had these answered satisfactorily.
- Understand that your participation is voluntary and that you are free to withdraw at any time without giving any reason, and without penalty.
- Confirm that you wish to take part in the above project.
- Agree and understand that for as long as you participate in the project you will/must: upload the videos of dogs), and that answering further questions regarding the dog is optional.
- To the fullest extent permitted by law, you agree to exclude all liability for any financial or other costs or losses that you may suffer as a result of participation in this competition. In the unlikely event your pet suffers any ill effects from participation, you accept that it is your responsibility to seek advice from a pet care professional.
- Understand that at any time the project may be discontinued at our sole discretion.
- Understand that we (Joii/Vet-AI) are under no obligation to make charitable donations for videos uploaded and that our commitment is purely voluntary.
If you need to contact us, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
If you need to contact our data protection officer please email: email@example.com.